Wednesday 18 March 2009

Born again brads









Well as I was busily trying to come up with some new cards yesterday and searching my brads for the "perfect" one the thought came into my head, why not alter some you've already got. I'm sure we've all bought packets of mixed brads and used half while the others languish in the container or been given or won some that really aren't quite us but we can't bring ourselves to throw out or pass on.
So with that in mind I chose a plain gold heart brad and tried three other products to see what results I got.


1. The first was using a Staz On ink pad, using my tweezers I "pounced" it up and down on the ink pad a few times and then got a cotton bud rolled it on the ink pad and then applies that to the sides to get an even coverage. I then hit it with the heat gun (applied heat....not actually striking it) to really dry it and did the same thing again.


2. The next one was with the Alcohol inks and the applicator tool. I placed a felt piece onto the tool added a couple of drops of alcohol ink and again "pounced" onto the brad and making sure to cover the sides. Let it dry a little or apply some heat and then do a second coat.
#TIP Put the drops of alcohol ink close to the edge of the felt as it makes it easier to run it around the sides.

3. And the last one was using the Opals.... this was my favourite result. Pour some Opals into a container (enough to provide a good depth) pick up the brad in your tweezers then apply the heat tool to the brad. After approx 10 seconds (trial and error) put the brad , flat side down into the Opals, you should have a good coverage of Opals when you lift it out. Give a little shake and then heat it until it melts. I did this twice to give a really nice coverage, just experiement and see what depth you want. Don't forget to roll it around the sides as well.
#TIP When you are applying heat use tweezers or pliers to keep your fingers out of the way. Try to keep the brad flat as when the Opals get very hot it can "slide" off especially once you've done 2 coats. You want to heat it until melted not boiling.

1 comment:

Sandra L said...

I agree Helen, my favourite is the Opals one. Hope to see you on Sunday. Sandra